I can hear you singing to yourself right now...
Beans, Beans, the musical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot!"
But I'd like to amend that previous little diddy to this:
Beans, beans, the magical fruit, the more you eat, the more you lose!
Beans are a part of what's collectively known as "pulses". Pulses are a family or group of legumes that are harvested just for the dry seeds. Some of these are: kidney beans, lima beans, butter beans, all varieties of lentils, chick peas, black-eyed peas, and many more.
So how can these these beans, or "pulses" help you lose weight? Let's dig into it shall we?
Beans have a Low Glycemic Index Rating
There's nothing worse than eating a meal and just a short while later being hungry again. Eating more foods with a lower GI rating will help you stay fuller longer and keep your blood sugar more steady throughout the day.
Beans are loaded with resistant starches, making them more difficult to be broken down in digestion and don't turn into glucose right away like other more simple foods. The steadier your sugar, the less you're likely to have food cravings.
But more importantly, when you eat foods high on the GI scale, your blood sugar rises, you produce insulin and then, like all things in nature, what goes up, must come down: your overproduction of insulin has resulted in a sugar crash and suddenly you need you're next fix.
Adding in more beans and less bread, will reduce your GI and your Glycemic Load.
The average rating is set to about 50, but we want it much much lower than that!
We compared other "healthy" foods to beans below. Remember, just because a commercial says it will help you lose weight, doesn't mean it will. Often times, those "healthy snack bars" just give you a sugar high then have you coming back to buy another box when you crash.
Research Backs Us Up
21 Clinical trials were run proving 2 things for certain.
1. Pulses help you feel fuller longer
2. Pulses help you shed unwanted pounds
"Though the weight loss was small, our findings suggest that simply including pulses in your diet may help you lose weight, and we think more importantly, prevent you from gaining it back after you lose it," study lead author Russell de Souza, a researcher at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto said.
There were 940 adults in the study and it showed that the participants who ate 3/4 a cup of pulses a day lost an average of 0.75 pounds in 6 weeks WITHOUT changing anything else in their diets. Sure, a pound isn't much, but just imagine if you included it in your diet daily along with other healthy diet changes- now we're talking.
According to the research team, previous studies proved that eating beans, lentils and other pulses makes people feel fuller.
That's key to weight loss -- 90 percent of weight loss programs fail, due in part to the influence of hunger and food cravings, according to de Souza.
"This new study fits well with our previous work, which found that pulses increased the feeling of fullness by 31%, which may indeed result in less food intake," he said.
-Read more about the Research work HERE
Did we mention the Bacteria?
Not only are beans low on the GI and GL Index that keep you feeling fuller longer, and are a resistant starch, but because of that, beans are a prebiotic.
You've probably heard the terms "prebiotic" and "probiotic" before.
Prebiotics are a nondigestible food ingredient that promotes the growth of beneficial microorganisms in the intestines. They then become probiotics inside your digestive tract.
These bacteria created from beans then help break down that resistant starch and help strengthen our immune system- even reducing our cancer risks. Most weight loss products are anti-biotic in nature, killing the very important components of your digestive and intestinal tracts. The good bacteria you create by eating beans also helps to wipe away built up blockage in your intestines and cleans your colon.
Want fast weight loss? Eat beans everyday and watch the results.
Key Points to Remember
1. Pulses (beans and lentils) need to be a part of your daily diet. Try eating 3/4 cup a day.
2. Beans have a low rating on the Glycemic Index and Load. Which means you won't have sugar spikes as often, which means you won't have as many cravings. Fat feeds on sugar. Lower your sugar intake and your lower your weight by default.
3. Research shows that eating beans and doing nothing else in your life will help you to lose more weight and keep it off naturally.
4. Your body needs bacteria to survive. In today's world most of us don't have enough, creating constipation, digestive issues, yeast infections and more. Eating beans daily will help build your natural resources back up and also help remove gunk from your intestine walls. Eating beans also reducing your cancer risk.
5. There's no magic pill for what you are trying to achieve. But there are magic beans that will help you get there. The devil's in the details, not a 30 second Shakeology commercial. Feed your body what it needs to take care of you, and... it will. Like magic.